The Homeowner’s Building Application Checklist for Constructing a Residential Finished Basement
If you want to turn your unfinished basement into an area that can be used for living space, there are also things to submit before you are awarded a building permit. For details check out ottawa.ca/buildingcode. You can also contact a Development Information Officer (DIO) about zoning, building height and other things by calling 3-1-1.
Some of the things you will need are:
- Two complete sets of legible plans drawn to scale
- Site plan to include dimensions, change in grading, and all buildings
- Floor plan
- Construction Material List
- Building permit application
- Any additional information that may be requested
At certain points, there will be required inspections to assure that your building complies with code. You should plan to contact the inspectors’ office at least 48 hours in advance. If you don’t get the appropriate inspections, you may need to tear out some or all of the work so the inspection can be completed.